Sunday 28 December 2014

Drawing a model faceless...

As it may have been recognised, I have chosen not to draw the faces of the models in many of my life drawings. A French Sculptor that chooses to do this is Hannah A. Laoust who sculpts dancers using clay. A video of her talking about her work can be found here:
Her reasons for not creating the face are for the benefit of the customer buying the work. When a customer buys her work they can see the model as themselves and so the sculpture becomes a kind of transference for the customer. Therefore the customer can see themselves in the position/expression/emotion that the sculpture is portraying. 
I have similar reasons to this artist, however I have chosen not to draw the faces of the life models as the models are not personal to me. I am simply drawing the models to practise drawing the human form. I will concentrate more on the face when drawing people who are personal to me such as friends and family. A few examples of such work can be shown below: 
This graphite pencil drawing is of my sister when she was a toddler. This is just an A3 pencil drawing. I could choose to work into this more using watercolour or soft pastel pencils. 

This graphite pencil drawing is of my late nan. This one has only just been started and is not finished. I need to add tone and finish off the line work. 



No comments:

Post a Comment