Friday 19 September 2014

Starting point- inspiration (Kaleidoscope)



As a starting point for my title 'Reflections' and as a project for 'Art in Woodstock' my class and I designed and created usable kaleidoscopes.
To create these involved a series of steps, some complicated. I devised a series of written instructions including pictures, which can be seen in my art journal:
I created an A1 page on the project and used inspiration of tessellation and symmetry to create an interesting background. I have written down the steps underneath flaps for the user to read.
By following my step-by-step guide, I have been able to create a small Kaleidoscope. I have photographed it from many angles in order to show the viewer the true nature of the product. I have chosen a variety of beads in a variety of shapes and colours to fill the bottom of my kaleidoscope as I wanted to create an almost fluorescent reflection. 
Looking at my photographs, it is possible to see the decoration on the outside of my Kaleidoscope where I have used purple beads to form a crest. I have taken these photographs myself using a digital Nikon DSLR camera and a light projector:
I like the reflective effect that my kaleidoscope gives. The mirrored surfaces project and tessellate the surrounding beads. It looks like a tunnel of light, an explosion of colour. 
To develop this technique further, I would like to draw from a mirrored surface to see how a reflected image would look using pencil and my own imagination. This brings me onto an artist who draws from reflective surfaces. M.C. Escher. 

No comments:

Post a Comment